Christian Blandford Fund
The aim of the Christian Blandford fund is to raise money for hospitals where sick children are treated. Often treatment is given under a "joint care" program where a specialist hospital such as Great Ormond Street or The Royal Marsden provides the main treatment and the local hospital is used if, for example, a child gets an infection.
The specialist hospitals are usually far more comfortable and well equipped than the local NHS hospitals mainly due to extra funds from government and charity. We have chosen to raise money for local hospitals as we discovered during Christians treatment that they needed it more.
So far, the majority of the money raised has gone to St Georges Hospital in Tooting.
Here are some of the differences we have been reponsible for -
• The Child Development Centre opened its doors following a £550k refurbishment in June 2009, having received a £100k contribution from the Christian Blandford Fund. The CDC provides services for children with developmental difficulties over a broad spectrum of disciplines
• All patient rooms on Pinkney now have wall mounted flat screen TVs and DVD players
• A large flat screen tv has been installed in the parents’ room
• A number of hand held computer games, games consoles and games have been purchased for use by Pinckney patients
• New sofa beds have been ordered for parental use
• Magnetic white boards and laminated posters will be provided to allow children to customise their rooms with their own familiar decor
• A portable ultrasound machine has been purchased to allow patients to be scanned on the ward at a cost of £23k, saving unnecessary trips to other departments and allowing canulars to be inserted much more easily. This is usually a very stressful procedure for the child, parent and doctor!
• Magazines for the dayroom are now delivered monthly to ensure a constant supply of fresh reading matter for quiet times
• An Information Pack is being produced to offer new parents and patients on the wards easy access to all they need to know
• A new selection of bravery stickers and awards are now available for all our small soldiers!