React (Rapid Effective Assistance for Children with Potentially Terminal illness) is a dynamic charity working to improve the quality of life for financially disadvantaged children with life-limiting illnesses living in the UK. Our work is unrivalled by any other organisation and our passion and belief that every child should have comfort, dignity, and the opportunity to participate in life as fully as possible is our driving force.
Many clinicians report that as a result of recent advances in medical science, children and young people receiving treatment for life-limiting conditions are living longer. This means many more children receiving palliative care are cared for by families in the comfort of their own home.
The needs of children, young people and their families are likely to be many, varied and complex. In addition, the mobility of a child may change over time, resulting in the requirement of a wide range of essential specialist equipment that may not be available through the limited funds of their local authority.
- to improve the quality of life for children with life-limiting illnesses living in financially disadvantaged families throughout the UK
- to provide families with the specialist care or equipment that will enhance their child's life, following recommendations from medical professionals who have identified specific needs
- to respond with practical and sensitive support within days, if not hours - when a child's life is short, an immediate response is vital
- to support those families who are unlikely to receive the assistance they need from any other source in sufficient time
- to provide assistance throughout a child's lifetime - many life-limiting illnesses are degenerative and a child's needs may change constantly
- to eliminate red tape and bureaucracy, allowing aid to be given quickly and without fuss, keeping administrative costs to an absolute minimum