2016 London Marathon fundraisers set to smash previous record for money raised through Virgin Money Giving
19 April 2016
- Funds raised for charity through Virgin Money Giving are up 10% on this time last year
- Total raised by marathon runners through Virgin Money Giving on track to top £25 million in 2016
Not only will the 2016 Virgin Money London Marathon see the millionth finisher cross the line, it is also set to see Virgin Money Giving smash all previous fundraising records linked to the race.
With just under a week to go until the big event, Virgin Money Giving has announced that runners taking part in this year’s London Marathon on 24 April are on course to reach £25 million and smash last year’s fundraising total on Virgin Money Giving by around £3 million.
With donations continuing to flood in, the total amount of money raised through Virgin Money Giving to date has already exceeded the amount raised at the corresponding point in 2015, by over £1 million. As well as more fundraisers choosing to use Virgin Money Giving, the average amount being donated to runners has increased year on year by 5% to nearly £47.
Runners in the 2015 event raised a total of over £54 million for charity, setting a new world record for an annual single-day charity fundraising event for the ninth successive year. Over £40 million of that 2015 total was raised online between the UK’s two biggest fundraising websites, Virgin Money Giving and JustGiving.
Had all of this been donated through Virgin Money Giving then charities would have been better off to the tune of over £1.2 million, due to Virgin Money Giving’s not-for-profit model and lower fees, when compared with JustGiving.
Fundraisers taking part in this year’s London Marathon and using Virgin Money Giving are on track to raise over £25 million, so more money will go to UK charities as a result.
Jo Barnett, Executive Director at Virgin Money Giving said: “The London Marathon is hoping to set a fundraising world record for the tenth successive year in 2016. We’re delighted to be contributing towards that and with just under a week to go, our data shows that our fundraisers are set to smash our previous record and raise over £25 million for charity”.
“Virgin Money Giving was created with the ambition to help people raise as much as possible for their chosen cause, and when the amount raised can make the difference between being able to fund a vital programme or not, we believe as much of that money as possible should go to the causes they support.”
Virgin Money Press Office:
0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising website from Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Vitality Reading Half Marathon, Prudential Ride London, Virgin Money Cyclone and the Royal Half Parks Marathon.