Dundee Virgin Money staff raise funds for Anthony Nolan
26 July 2013
- Charity raffle raised over £150 for blood cancer charity, Anthony Nolan
- Part of Virgin Money’s nationwide ‘5 Million Pennies’ campaign
Staff at the Virgin Money Store in Dundee held a charity raffle and raised over £150 for the company’s charity of the year, Anthony Nolan, who work to save the lives of people with blood cancer.
The star prize was a three-course meal for four at The Encore Bar and Brassiere in the Dundee Repertory Theatre and was won by Virgin Money customer, Garry Milne. The Encore Bar has recently been takeover by new chef Kevin Muir, who has kindly donated the prize.
Winning customer Garry Milne said: “I am delighted I have won this prize whilst being able to help the Dundee Store raise money for a good cause. I am really looking forward to taking my family out for the evening.”
The ‘5 Million Pennies’ fundraising campaign is part of a nationwide initiative from Virgin Money. All 75 Virgin Money Stores will be holding events for their local community to raise funds for local charities using Virgin Money Giving, the not-for-profit fundraising website at virginmoneygiving.com. Over £5 million more has reached charities since Virgin Money Giving launched due to its not for-profit-status, compared to its main competitor and over £150 million has been raised since the online fundraising service was launched in October 2009.
Tracy Stewart, Store Manager at Virgin Money in Dundee said: “We are delighted to have raised over £150 for Anthony Nolan. Anthony Nolan does fantastic work, using their register to match people willing to donate bone marrow with those in desperate need of a transplant. We are extremely grateful to Encore Bar and Brassiere for providing such a superb prize.”
Tracy added: “Throughout the year we will be holding a variety of fundraising activities and it is easy for anyone who wishes to support us. It costs £100 to add each new donor and so we hope to raise as much money as possible. Online giving is an easy way for people to make donations to charity and people can find out more and donate at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/dundee-vmstore."
Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with a blood cancer, such as leukaemia. For many, a blood stem cell or bone marrow transplant is their only chance of life. In order to make a transplant, a donor must be found with a matching tissue type - but unlike blood groups, there are millions of different kinds. 1,600 people in the UK and 37,000 worldwide are currently waiting for that potentially lifesaving match.
The blood cancer charity, Anthony Nolan, is also the official charity of the Virgin Money London Marathon.
- Ends -
Press Office Contacts
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money leads the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity