Marathon runners raise £1,411 on Virgin Money Giving
21 February 2011
Data recently released by JustGiving suggested that more money is raised by London Marathon fundraisers through its site compared to the service provided by our not-for-profit online fundraising site Virgin Money Giving. This research used a small sample of two charities and 500 fundraisers. It stated that the average fundraiser raised £714 on Virgin Money Giving compared to £1,173 on JustGiving.
A comprehensive marathon performance report published by us showed that the average 2010 Virgin London Marathon fundraiser on Virgin Money Giving raised £1,411. This figure is based on the entire population of London Marathon fundraisers and charities using virginmoneygiving.com, not a sample.
Jo Barnett, executive director at Virgin Money Giving, said: “Virgin Money Giving was launched in 2009 to grow the overall online fundraising market. When we launched, only 2% of all charitable donations were donated online and it is Virgin Money Giving’s aim to help increase this figure.
“Evidence has proved that online giving is the most beneficial form of giving – boosting Gift Aid as well as cutting costs, time and administration associated with offline donations.
“We are very proud of the work that we have done so far – and that through online giving more money is able to reach good causes.”
The recent Virgin Money Giving Index indicated that the average donation now stands at £34.93, across all fundraising activity – not just marathon donations.
Gift Aid penetration is currently at 87%.
- ENDS -
For press enquiries please contact
Tel: 07834 844 427
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient, secure and offers a high quality service to all fundraisers, charities and those wanting to donate to charity online.
- Virginmoneygiving.com , which is backed by hundreds of major charities, officially opened to all fundraisers for all charity events on 14 October 2009 and estimates it will deliver an extra £5 million on top of every £100 million raised for charities. This is part of its commitment to achieve the best deal for charities .
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid, which means for every £10 raised charities receive £12.15.
- Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any money left over after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites.
- Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity.
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official sponsorship website of the Virgin London Marathon, Royal Parks Half Marathon, Virgin Active London Triathalon and Nike Run to the Beat.