Middlesborough Virgin Money store raising funds for local hospice
02 July 2013
- A series of summer themed fundraising days to be held in Store
- All money raised will go to Teesside Hospice
- Over £5 million more delivered to charity since Virgin Money Giving launched compared to main competitor
Staff at the Virgin Money Store in Middlesbrough will be holding a series of summer themed events in Store to raise money for the Teesside Hospice.
Teesside Hospice Care Foundation was formed in 1982 as a response to the shortfall in specialised care for those suffering from a life limiting illness in the Tees Valley and North Yorkshire region. The primary aim of the Hospice is to act as a resource to the local community to provide specialist palliative care at any point during a life-limiting illness.
The ‘5 Million Pennies’ fundraising campaign is part of a nationwide initiative from Virgin Money. All 75 Virgin Money Stores will be holding events for their local community to raise funds for local charities using Virgin Money Giving, the not-for-profit fundraising website at virginmoneygiving.com. Since its launch in 2009, over £5 million more has reached charities through Virgin Money Giving, due to its not-for-profit status, when compared to its main competitor and over £150 million has been raised through this online fundraising service.
Gillian Huitson, Store Manager at Virgin Money in Middlesbrough said: “We decided to raise funds for Teesside Hospice as it is a local charity which touches many people's lives in the community. It enhances the lives of local people suffering from life-limiting illnesses and we look forward to welcoming our customers, their friends and family to join in the festivities throughout the summer. Please pop in to our store to find out what we have planned. It should be a fun way to raise funds for an excellent cause and we hope to raise as much as possible.”
Staff and customers at the Store have so far begun to raise money through a Royal Ascot Sweepstake and a cream tea to mark Wimbledon.
Online giving is an easy way for people to make donations to charity and people can find out more and donate to the cause on the Store’s page at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Middlesbrough-VMStore
- Ends -
Press Office Contacts
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business as we aim to offer good value to customers, treat employees well, make a positive contribution to society and deliver a profit to our shareholders
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the largest one day annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money aims to help runners raise over £250 million over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official sponsorship website of the Virgin Money London Marathon, Royal Parks Half Marathon, Virgin Active London Triathlon and Nike Run to the Beat, as well as the Virgin Money Cyclone