Virgin Money Giving breaks the £100 million barrier
27 March 2012
More than 2.5 million donations online in 30 months
Virgin Money Giving the not-for-profit online fundraising website has broken the £100 million donation barrier, just two-and-a-half years after its launch.
The fundraising service has helped boost the online giving market by 59% - and seen an extra £3.4 million* go to charities thanks to its not-for-profit approach, which ensures more cash goes to good causes.
virginmoneygiving.com was set up in October 2009 to coincide with Virgin Money’s sponsorship of the London Marathon. Since its launch, the site has seen fundraisers register to take part in a range of fundraising activities, from cake sales, bungee jumping and abseiling, through to marathons, Ironman events and Guinness World Record attempts.
Over 2.5 million donations have been received to the various fundraisers and charities with over 4,000 charities registered.
Since its launch virginmoneygiving.com has seen Gift Aid uptake of 85.5% on donations.
The Virgin London Marathon has also seen record amounts raised over the past two years, since virginmoneygiving.com became the official online fundraising website for the event. Last year in excess of £51 million was raised by runners taking part in the race.
Sir Tom Shebbeare, who recently took up the position as chairman at Virgin Money Giving, said: “Helping charities to raise £100 million is a great achievement, but more important is the way we have helped to increase online giving overall.
“Research has shown that online giving is the most efficient way of fundraising for charities, donors and fundraisers.
“It is fantastic to see so many different challenges being undertaken by fundraisers on the site and to see so many people keen to raise money for charity.”
Jo Sopala, director of fundraising at MS Trust said: “Virgin Money Giving is an essential fundraising tool for smaller charities; helping fundraisers reach out to more donors and providing the charity with a cost-effective way of claiming donations and Gift Aid.”
Sally Barney events manager at Royal Parks Foundation said: “Virgin Money Giving and their team behind the scenes have been wonderful partners to the Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon. Right from the start in 2008, they believed in our vision to create an awesome event for both runners and charities.
“In its first 4 years, the Royal Parks Half Marathon has raised over £11 million for more than 360 charities - and with ongoing support from partners like Virgin Money Giving, this will continue to grow in future years.” Through Virgin Money Giving, for every £10 donated, £12.15 will make its way to the good cause, assuming donors are eligible to sign up to give Gift Aid.
*If the money raised through Virgin Money Giving since launching in October 2009 was raised through JustGiving instead £3.4m less would have reached charities. This is based on the Gift Aid re-claim rate for Virgin Money Giving and the overall mix of payment types on Virgin Money Giving.
- ENDS -
For press enquiries please contact
Tel: 07834 844 427
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient, secure and offers a high quality service to all fundraisers, charities and those wanting to donate to charity online.
- Virginmoneygiving.com , which is backed by thousands of major charities, officially opened to all fundraisers for all charity events on 14 October 2009.
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid, which means for every £10 raised charities receive £12.15.
- Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any money left over after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites.
- Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity.
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official sponsorship website of the Virgin London Marathon, Royal Parks Half Marathon, Virgin Active London Triathalon and Nike Run to the Beat.