Virgin Money Giving celebrates five years of success
23 December 2014
- Virgin Money Giving fundraisers have raised more than £300 million for good causes since 2009
- Charities have received £10 million more* through not-for-profit Virgin Money Giving in five years
- Virgin Money Giving has marked its fifth birthday with a raft of service improvements
Virgin Money Giving (VMG), the not-for-profit online fundraising website from Virgin Money, is celebrating five years of continuous success as it approaches the New Year.
Virgin Money Giving has marked its fifth birthday by revealing that fundraisers have used the service to raise more than £300 million (including Gift Aid) for charity since it was founded in 2009. Based on that total, it means that 9,000 registered good causes have received an incredible £10 million more in donations compared to Virgin Money Giving’s closest competitor, because of the platform’s lower fees and not-for-profit business model1.
Virgin Money Giving has also confirmed that Gift Aid tax relief has been claimed on 86% of all donations processed, giving charities a welcome 25% boost on the donation amount received, at no extra cost to them or their donors.
Service improvements have also been launched during 2014, such as a smartphone app for Android and iOS, the introduction of API technology, which allows charities to use VMG data to create visual aids and tools on their websites; and new ‘Campaigns’ functionality, which enables charities to bring together multiple supporters under a single cause, event or activity.
To help mark another successful year, VMG also held a prize draw for 30 of its registered UK charities to win fundraising places for their supporters to run in next year’s Virgin Money London Marathon*.
Jo Barnett, Executive Director at Virgin Money Giving said:“The fact that fundraisers have now broken through the £300 million barrier is an amazing achievement.
“We are proud to be improving the service we offer all the time with the support and feedback of our charity partners, whose input is vital. We look forward to enhancing the system even more with their continued support.”
Earlier this year, Sir Richard Branson joined runners and fundraisers at Tower Bridge to celebrate that in the five years since Virgin Money became title sponsor of the Virgin Money London Marathon, fundraisers had smashed through the target of raising £1/4 billion for charities in five years – including funds raised through Virgin Money Giving.
Jo Barnett added:“We're really excited to celebrate all of the things that we've achieved in just five years. We know that the £300 million raised by our fundraisers has meant such a lot to so many people. It has been used by a huge range of charities to better the lives of people all around the UK.”
To help mark the latest milestone, VMG is hoping its supporters will join in with ‘5for5’ during 2015 – using the service to take on five personal challenges to raise even more money for charity.
Jo Barnett explained:“We are inviting members of the public to take on five charity challenges each, to help us and our charity partners mark this anniversary and raise even more funds for good causes!
“Whether that’s taking on small feats to build up to a big event, like the Virgin Money London Marathon, or five one-off fundraising events, Virgin Money Giving’s pages can be personalised to suit.
“You may choose to support one charity that means a lot to you, or five separate causes on the same fundraising page, over a week or over a year. Anything goes, but we’d love everyone to get on board and set up their 5for5 fundraising page on Virgin Money Giving now, to help get us started on the next £300 million.”
1Figures based on a comparison of the cost of service and transaction costs of Virgin Money Giving with JustGiving, based on Virgin Money Giving’s fundraising total from its launch to 31 October 2014.
Virgin Money Giving press office
0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
*The charities that won charity places in the Virgin Money London Marathon were:
St John’s Ambulance
The Prince’s Trust
Moorfields Eye Charity
Action for Children
The Clatterbridge Cancer Charity
Forest Sensory Services
ADHD & Autism Harrow
Teens Unite Fighting Cancer
Facial Palsy UK
Attitude is Everything
Kids Run Free
The Brain Tumour Charity
World Cancer Research Fund UK
Together for Short Lives
St Giles Trust
Prostate Cancer UK
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Royal Parks Half Marathon, Nike Run to the Beat and the Virgin Money Cyclone