Virgin Money Giving on track to break another fundraising record
28 April 2016
- A record-breaking £23 million has been raised so far through Virgin Money Giving by runners taking part in the 2016 Virgin Money London Marathon
- The total raised through Virgin Money Giving expected to top £25 million in 2016 at the final count
Virgin Money Giving confirms that total funds raised through its charity fundraising pages linked to the 2016 Virgin Money London Marathon has reached a record-breaking £23 million, including Gift Aid, and it is expected to top £25 million as donations continue to come in. Fundraising linked to the London Marathon through Virgin Money Giving is currently up 12% on this time last year.
Due to Virgin Money Giving’s not-for-profit model and lower fees, more money will reach charities as a result of fundraisers choosing to use Virgin Money Giving rather than Just Giving. When the dust settles on yet another exhilarating London Marathon, charities will be better off by around £700,000 as a result of their fundraisers using Virgin Money Giving.
Virgin Money Giving’s latest research1, conducted with a cross section of 2016 Virgin Money London Marathon runners, shows 81% of fundraisers think it is important that online fundraising sites are run on a not-for-profit basis and 43% feel that any charge made should just be enough to cover operating costs. Reflecting their views on these matters, over a third of fundraisers currently using ‘for profit’ sites like Just Giving, state they will use a ‘not for profit’ site like Virgin Money Giving in the future.
Jo Barnett, Executive Director at Virgin Money Giving said: “I am delighted that Virgin Money Giving has smashed all previous fundraising totals for those taking part in the Virgin Money London Marathon. We expect the Virgin Money London Marathon to break yet another fundraising World record this year. The sheer effort and generosity of those taking part to raise funds for the cause of their choice, no matter how large or small, should never be underestimated. More and more people are signing up to Virgin Money Giving as they realise more money goes to their charity because of our not-for-profit approach.”
Virgin Money Press Office:
0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
1 Research conducted in April 2016 and included 389 responses.
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising website from Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Vitality Reading Half Marathon, Prudential Ride London, Virgin Money Cyclone and the Royal Half Parks Marathon.