Virgin Money staff get on their bike for charity
30 May 2013
- Sponsored cycle to be held in front of the Edinburgh Virgin Money Store on Castle Street on Saturday 1st June 2013
- All money raised will go to blood cancer charity Anthony Nolan
Staff at the Virgin Money Store in Edinburgh will be holding a sponsored cycle on Saturday 1 June, pedalling 100 miles on exercise bikes to raise funds and awareness for the company’s charity of the year, Anthony Nolan, who work to save the lives of people with blood cancer.
The fundraising is part of a nationwide initiative from Virgin Money. All 75 Virgin Money Stores will be holding events for their local community to raise funds for local charities using virginmoneygiving.com. Over £5 million more has reached charities since Virgin Money Giving launched compared to its main competitor and over £150m has been raised since the online fundraising service was launched in October 2009.
Paul Adamson, Store Manager at Virgin Money in Edinburgh said: “We are delighted to be hosting a sponsored 100 mile cycle to raise funds for the blood cancer charity, Anthony Nolan. It should be a fun way to raise funds for an excellent cause, as well as a great way of keeping fit. Everyone is welcome to come along. Anthony Nolan does fantastic work, using their register to match people willing to donate bone marrow with those in desperate need of a transplant. It costs £100 to add each new donor and so we hope to raise as much money as possible."
Paul added: “Online giving is an easy way for people to make donations to charity and people can find out more and donate at www.virginmoneygiving.com/Edinburgh-VMStore."
Anthony Nolan is a pioneering charity that saves the lives of people with blood cancer. Every day, they use their register to match incredible individuals willing to donate their bone marrow to people in despaerate need of a transplant. In 1974, Anthony Nolan's mother, Shirley, set up the world's first bone marrow register to match donors with people who need a transplant.
Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with a blood cancer, such as leukaemia. For many, a blood stem cell or bone marrow transplant is their only chance of life. In order to make a transplant, a donor must be found with a matching tissue type - but unlike blood groups, there are millions of different kinds. 1,600 people in the UK and 37,000 worldwide are currently waiting for that potentially lifesaving match.
- Ends -
Press Office Contacts
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers.
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders.
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money leads the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving.
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to