Virgin Money staff raise over £200 for North West Air Ambulance
19 June 2013
- Part of nationwide ‘5 Million Pennies’ campaign
Virgin Money Store staff and friends in Carlisle recently held a charity bag packing event at their local Asda to raise funds and awareness for the North West Air Ambulance.
The North West Air Ambulance, based at Royal Preston Hospital and University Hospital of South Manchester, is a charity which has been flying life-saving missions throughout the North West region since 1999. Two helicopters are available covering 5,500 square miles and a population of around eight million people. On average the North West Air Ambulance is called out five times a day, rising up to ten times a day in the summer. It costs in excess of £4.2 million per year to maintain both aircraft which is funded almost entirely by generosity of their supporters.
The ‘5 Million Pennies’ fundraising campaign is part of a nationwide initiative from Virgin Money. All 75 Virgin Money Stores will be holding events for their local community to raise funds for local charities using virginmoneygiving.com. Over £5 million more has reached charities since Virgin Money Giving launched compared to its main competitor and over £150 million has been raised since the online fundraising service was launched in October 2009.
Craig Nicholson, Store Manager at Virgin Money in Carlisle said: “The North West Air Ambulance saves lives and we are delighted to have raised over £200 for such an important cause. The bag packing was a great day and I would like to thank people for their generosity.”
Craig added: “Online giving is an easy way for people to make donations to charity and people can find out more and donate at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/carlisle-vmstore.”
- Ends -
Press Office Contacts
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money leads the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009 to support Virgin’s sponsorship of the London Marathon. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 plus VAT for charities, and a two per cent fee on all donations before Gift Aid, which means for every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any money left over after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages to their supporters.
- Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity.