Virgin Money store raises money for Oldham Hospice
17 June 2013
- Virgin Money Store in Oldham holding a Coffee Day on 21 June 2013
- All money raised will go to Dr Kershaw’s Hospice in Oldham
Staff at the Virgin Money Store in Oldham will be holding an Oldham Years Coffee day on the 21 June 2013 to raise money for Dr. Kershaw’s.
The ‘5 Million Pennies’ fundraiser is part of a nationwide initiative from Virgin Money to raise even more money through Virgin Money Giving. All 75 Virgin Money Stores will be holding events to raise funds for local charities. The store that raises the most money for their chosen charity will receive an additional bonus donation of £1,000 from Virgin Money to add to the funds raised.
Dr Kershaw’s Hospice provides specialist palliative care for adults with non-curable life-threatening illnesses in a peaceful and homely environment with accommodation for 12 inpatients and 15 day care places. In addition it provides support for patients’ relatives and carers. The medical and nursing staff are experienced in palliative medicine and are supported by a multi-disciplinary team of specialist nurses, allied health professionals, social workers, spiritual counsellors and bereavement support workers who assist in providing a seamless service for patients across hospital, community and hospice boundaries.
The Hospice was opened in 1989 following the conversion and development of a 1930’s Cottage Hospital originally built with a legacy from Dr John Kershaw, a local General Practitioner and Medical Officer of Health. The Hospice has recently undergone a major building programme of expansion and refurbishment to offer high quality patient accommodation.
‘Oldham Years’ is a celebration of Oldham through the ages through pictures and books and customers are invited to share their memories over a cup of coffee and some light refreshment.
Alan Partington, Store Manager at Virgin Money in Oldham said: “We are delighted to be raising funds for Dr Kershaw’s, and we look forward to welcoming our customers, as well as their friends and family to our Oldham Years Coffee Day.”
Alan added: “It should be a fun way to raise funds for an excellent cause. Dr. Kershaw’s Hospice does fantastic work in the local community and we hope to raise as much as possible. Online giving is an easy way for people to make donations to charity and people can find out more and donate on our Virgin Money Giving page.”
The page can be found at www.virginmoneygiving.com/Oldham-VMStore
- Ends -
Press Office Contacts
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money leads the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009 to support Virgin’s sponsorship of the London Marathon. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 plus VAT for charities, and a two per cent fee on all donations before Gift Aid, which means for every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any money left over after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages to their supporters.
- Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity.