Bristol Flyers Community
Why we need your help
Bristol Flyers Community is not big enough to sustain itself without the generous donations of basketball supporters and organisations that want to make a difference to people's lives.
Our aim is to improve health and increase social mobility for all people in the City of Bristol and West of England, but especially those from low social economic groups and those with an identified need or disadvantage, by using the power of basketball as an engagement tool.
Why are we raising money?
Bristol is a divided city. It has achieved numerous accolades and awards such as the ‘most desirable place to live in the UK’ and has been described not only as a ‘glamorous, creative, high-tech and prosperous city with a buoyant property market and a great night life’, but also as a city ‘full of culture’. However, this is not the experience for many.
- Bristol is a city with widening fiscal and health inequalities where 42 (of the 70) individual wards rank in the 10% most deprived in England and six of these wards rank in the bottom 1%.
- One in every three children aged 10 and 11 in Bristol are already overweight or obese and this figure continues to rise faster than the national average.
- There are over 15,000 children living in Bristol with a Special Education Need.
- At least 5,100 children aged five to 16-years-old have a diagnosable mental health problem.
- Only 31% of women take part in sport on a weekly basis with just 5% of girls meeting the recommended amount of physical activity.
Basketball is a sport with tremendous power, the power to bring communities together, break down barriers and tackle these challenges head on.
This campaign has been set up to fund our life-changing work that reaches thousands of people who live in the Greater Bristol area. Funds raised through this campaign will be used to purchase much-needed equipment, pay for coaches and ensure that we can continually break down barriers using the power of basketball.
By donating and fundraising for us you will truly help us to change lives through sport.
raised towards £1,000.00 target
Spread the word
Total raised so far
Total plus Gift Aid £0.00
Raised offline £0.00