Breast Cancer Unit Campaign
Why we need your help
Please help us fund a dedicated breast unit at Salisbury District Hospital.
Why do we need a dedicated Breast Unit?
1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Breast cancers treated in Salisbury have increased by nearly 40% in the last two years. Salisbury District Hospital’s specialist breast team offer excellent care but the number of patients they see is growing fast. Now they urgently need a dedicated Breast Unit to provide even better, quicker and more dignified treatment for over 4,500 local women, and a small number of men, each year.
What will the benefits be?
A dedicated Breast Unit will offer:Faster diagnosis and treatment
- Same day diagnosis
- No need to visit other departments or repeatedly dress and undress for mammograms and scans
- Quicker access to treatment
- State-of-the-art equipment
The best possible environment
- Purpose-built, spacious waiting, diagnostic and treatment rooms dedicated entirely to breast patients
- Sensitive design and décor creating a calm, light and dignified environment
- Private spaces to talk, think and reflect
- Counselling rooms for women who have just been told they have breast cancer
- No more anxious waits for results
- Fewer return visits and more efficient care
- A tranquil haven where patients can be supported by staff and one another
Who will you be helping?
Your support will help over 4,500 local patients each year, from across Wiltshire, Hampshire and Dorset. Perhaps even you, a friend or a member of your family.
“Three months after my 26th birthday, I was told I had breast cancer. What happened after was a whirlwind of tests, surgery and treatments. Due to the nature of the cancer, I needed a mastectomy followed by months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I am now part-way through 10 years of hormone therapy.
Having cancer can be very isolating. Since my diagnosis I have met some wonderful people and been fortunate to have a lot of support, but it is not easy for everybody to seek such help. That’s why I think a specialist Breast Unit would be a fabulous idea. A place for patients to go without feeling embarrassed, a hub of support and information, and somewhere everything can be done in one place.”
Joanna Bott, Salisbury
raised so far
Jan 25, 2019
Dec 22, 2016
Oct 04, 2016
Aug 23, 2016
Apr 17, 2016
Dec 22, 2015
Dec 16, 2015
Dec 10, 2015
Nov 09, 2015
Oct 30, 2015
Total raised so far
Total plus Gift Aid £785,745.70
Raised offline £752,762.02