LGBT Futures Covid Appeal
Why we need your help
Covid-19 has undoubtedly had an impact on every single person across the UK.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Plus voluntary and community organisations across the UK have been far from immune. They have been providing lifeline services to vulnerable and marginalised LGBT+ people right across the country despite less funding and staff capacity being available to provide these incredible services.
This is why we have set up the LGBT+ Futures: Covid-19 Appeal. LGBT+ organisations are struggling but more LGBT+ people need support, especially as we work our way through new waves of the pandemic.
What are LGBT+ individuals telling us about how the pandemic is affecting them?
(data from LGBT+ Covid-19 surveys)
- 42% of LGBT+ people accessing services are doing so for support around their mental health
- 70% of LGBT+ people have reported decreased mental health overall
- 18% of LGBT+ people have reported concerns that their situation would lead to substance or alcohol misuse or relapse
- 54% of LGBT people living alone are seriously concerned by increase isolation and its future impact
- 8% have reported experiencing domestic abuse, with young people reporting the highest levels, followed by disabled LGBT+ people
- All of the survey data from LGBT+ organisation shows an increase in these figures for BAME/PoC LGBT+ people, Deaf/Disabled LGBT+ people and Trans and Non-Binary people
What are LGBT+ voluntary organisations providing vital services telling us about the impact of Covid-19?
- 47% of LGBT+ organisations have reported an immediate impact as a result of the global pandemic. This has resulted in increased demands for their services but less funding to deliver these vital lifelines
- 20% of LGBT+ organisations have told Consortium they are concerned they will have to close as a result of the impact of Covid-19 on their organisation
- The majority of LGBT+ organisations have reported an increase in demands for their services.
- 25% of organisations have reported immediate losses in income, with a majority seeing a decline in donations, earned income and indivdual giving
- Those reporting lower demand are citing individuals having a lack of access to digital tools or a safe space from which to access support
- The majority of Consortium's membership (over 420 organisations across the UK) operate on less than £50,000 per year, meaning the loss of funding is having a huge impact
Why LGBT+ Consortium?
Consortium, as the umbrella body for LGBT+ voluntary and community organisations across the UK, has already distributed over £1m to LGBT+ organisations in the last 18 months, with over half of this during the pandemic, but this is simply not enough to support all LGBT+ organisations.
We need your support to raise funds for LGBT+ organisations up and down the country.
Last year our Membership of 370 LGBT+ organisations served over 5million people. We understand their needs, how they work, and have the trust and confidence that funds will be allocated where they are most needed.
We need to make sure they have access to funds to keep doing their lifesaving and amazing work during this pandemic and beyond.
All funds raised will be distributed through our established onward grant giving programme, through an diverse and independent grants committee. For more info on where funds have gone previously check out here.
Thank you for supporting our LGBT+ communities.
raised so far
Spread the word
Total raised so far
Total plus Gift Aid £0.00
Raised offline £0.00