Single Parent Appeal - COVID-19 support
Why we need your help
One Parent Families Scotland is asking for your support in this time of crisis.
Life in the face of the coronavirus outbreak, social distancing and isolation is challenging for all of us, but for some families these new pressures are even more overwhelming. Single parents and their children make up one in four families in Scotland, and they are some of the hardest hit during these unusual times.
How your donation will help
Practical, financial and emotional support for single parents and their children is more urgent than ever before. With your help, we can make sure that families are not alone and that parents can support their children to thrive during this difficult time.
Your donations will allow us to:
- Buy essentials such as food, nappies and toys for families in crisis.
- Help families access the equipment and internet connection they need for their children to participate in online learning opportunities.
- Provide emergency energy grants to families in crisis.
- Coordinate volunteers in communities across Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Falkirk and North Lanarkshire to deliver groceries and other essential items to single parent families who cannot shop for themselves.
What we are asking you to do
- Challenge yourself to try an activity under one of the ‘Five Ways to Wellbeing’.
- Ask friends and family to sponsor you (you can even create your own fundraising page and select One Parent Families Scotland as your chosen charity).
- Donate to our Urgent Appeal for Single Parent Families.
We’ve come up with a few suggestions of what you might do under each of the five ‘ways’ to boost your wellbeing and help single parent families at the same time. We hope you might be able to get creative and come up with your own ideas too.
Why single parents and their children need your support
Many single parents are struggling to cope on their own with school closures, changes in working arrangements, loss of income, and simply getting to the shops to get food when there’s nobody to stay at home with the children.
Single parents who relied on the support of extended family and friends suddenly find themselves in total isolation, all while trying to deal with a strange and frightening situation.
- Children in single parent households are already twice as likely to be living in poverty.
- Around 70% of single parents are in low-paid jobs, many of which are now classed as key workers and are less likely to be able to be carried out as normal from home.
- Single parent households have the lowest overall wealth of any household type in Scotland and are the most likely to be in debt.
- 73% of single parents are also classed as “financially vulnerable” (the highest of any household type), which means they do not have enough savings to be able to cover essential living costs for three months.
Your donations can provide much needed extra help directly to families in crisis over the coming weeks and months. Even a small donation can make a big difference to the children and families who need your support.
raised towards £10,000.00 target
Jun 04, 2020
Jun 04, 2020
Jun 03, 2020
May 31, 2020
May 27, 2020
May 25, 2020
May 15, 2020
May 14, 2020
May 11, 2020
May 10, 2020
Total raised so far
Total plus Gift Aid £3,485.00
Raised offline £0.00