Why we need your help
Support Women Writers of Afghanistan
For all women in Afghanistan, the future is uncertain and frightening. For women writers, the situation is clearly terrifying; many are in hiding, aware that their whole existence – their gender, their voice, their talent - is under threat.
Untold is a development programme for writers who are marginalised in society by community or conflict. For the last two years it has worked with emerging women creative writers on its Write Afghanistan project to develop, translate and share their fiction writing with global audiences, in translation. It also connects these writers to each other and the wider world.
The safety of these women is paramount, which is why their identity and voices are hidden from the rest of the world for now but keeping in touch with each other through what may lie ahead will provide support, encouragement and an outlet for creativity, and, of course, trauma. You can help these women to keep writing and stay connected to each other.
“All we can do is give each other moral support. Sharing our writing is one way of doing this.” Writer, Write Afghanistan.
Your donation will go towards keeping this project running, through this challenging period.
Please note: Your money will only go directly to these Afghan women writers when it is possible and when we are sure this would not undermine their safety. In the meantime, donations will go towards keeping Untold and Write Afghanistan moving, e.g. Afghan translators and editors.
Please see below as to what donations could achieve, before recent events in Afghanistan:
- £375: This contribution would allow us to provide 10-12 writers with enough internet data for a three month editorial process.
- £500: This contribution would allow us to connect a writer from our community with an established, high-profile writer for a three-month period of mentorship. This would help them share experience and gain support, whilst also introducing them to international writing communities.
- £750: With your support, we would be able to translate a writer's work, and provide them with individual feedback from our editorial team - helping them to develop their craft, and the potential of their story.
- £1,500: This would allow us to facilitate a three-month editorial process with a writer - translating and editing their work, holding one-to-one remote editorial sessions with our team, and developing their story for potential publication.
- £2,500: With this contribution, we would be able to facilitate online workshops and support for our network of writers, connecting women from across Afghanistan to share in their writing process.
- £3,000: With your contribution, we would be able to issue another countrywide call for Afghan women's writing, allowing writers to share their work with our team, and for selected writers to access a full craft-development programme.
- £15,000: This contribution would allow us to facilitate a three-month editorial process with a cohort of 10 writers - translating and editing their work, holding one-to-one remote editorial sessions with our team, and developing their stories for potential publication.
raised towards £5,000.00 target
Sep 20, 2021
Sep 17, 2021
Fellow Serpentine swimmer
Sep 15, 2021
Sep 11, 2021
Sep 11, 2021
Sep 09, 2021
Sep 05, 2021
Sep 04, 2021
Sep 03, 2021
Sep 02, 2021
BZ and NK
Total raised so far
Total plus Gift Aid £5,131.00
Raised offline £0.00