The Lindsay Leg Club Foundation
Who we are
Welcome to the Lindsay Leg Club Foundation
The Lindsay Leg Club Foundation was set up to facilitate and manage the coordinated growth of Leg Clubs as well as providing the Clubs with information and support. The Foundation has a website (www.legclub.org) for Clubs, their members, supporters and volunteers.
The annual cost of lower limb and leg ulcer treatment to the NHS is estimated to be £600 million and much of this cost is incurred by district nurse time (78%). Placing nurses in Leg Clubs once a week as opposed to making individual visits to people has been shown to make considerable savings.
Our vision is to:
- make Leg Clubs part of government and NHS strategy for lower limb management and associated conditions in the UK;
- continue the expansion of Leg Clubs throughout the UK;
- ensure that Leg Clubs are the leading source of information for the general public on prevention and treatment of the lower limb;
- continue to implement best practice for the prevention and treatment of conditions relating to the lower limb in partnership with healthcare professionals, patients and the local community;
- strive to measure and report all key clinical and economic outcomes achieved through the implementation of best practice in conjunction with the Leg Clubs and our partners.
What are Leg Clubs?
Leg Clubs are for individuals who experience problems relating to the lower limb along with those people at high risk. The Leg Club model is a unique partnership between the practice and district nursing teams and the local community, which helps individuals become more involved in their treatment. Members (patients) are encouraged, through a sense of ownership, to become stakeholders in their own treatment. Leg Clubs aim to provide person-centred lower limb management in a social environment, where members are treated collectively and the emphasis is on social interaction, participation, empathy and peer support where positive health beliefs are promoted. The Model impacts positively on healing and recurrence rates and helps isolated older people reintegrate into their communities.
Your support is appreciated.
Ellie Lindsay OBE
Founder and Lifetime President
Photos of Andrew Kingsley taking part in a 200 mile cycle ride from Barnstaple to Worcester to raise money for the Barnstaple Leg Club and the Foundation