Who we are
Founded in 1887, Blackfriars Settlement is a registered charity in north Southwark. We work with local people and offer a wide range of services and activities, creating opportunities for them to achieve their goals and improve their well-being.
- Positive Ageing: weekly activities for those over 65, including arts and crafts, singing and music, exercise classes, 3 hot lunches a week, trips out, an annual holiday, hairdressing etc. Befriending service supports those who are unable to leave their house, usually with a visit from a befriender each week.
- Mental Health & Well-being service (MHWB): supports those with severe and enduring mental health challenges through weekly activities including discussion groups, group cook and eat sessions, art therapy, reading group, IT classes, members forum, trips etc.
- Orb Cafe Project: a social integration project aimed at breaking down barriers between the diverse groups within the local community through shared activities and events.
- Adult education: a diverse offer of courses for adults, but with a focus on basic skills, ESOL, IT, etc.
- a weekly free legal advice clinic: working with a legal firm to provide professional advice.
- Art2Print: our in-house graphic design service with professional designers with lived experience of mental health challenges.
We also support other small voluntary sector groups in the community.