Pumping Marvellous Foundation
Who we are
The Marvellous Pumping Marvellous
What is heart failure?
It means that your heart is failing to pump as efficiently as it should, in order to supply the body with the oxygen and nutrients that it needs.
It’s not a heart attack or a cardiac arrest. Symptoms include breathlessness, sometimes at rest, total body fatigue, like running a 10k and not recovering from it and fluid retention which may mean having swollen feet, ankles, legs, stomach and even fluid in the lungs.
Quick glance statistics
- Over 900,000 people live with heart failure in the UK
- Heart failure affects all generations it is not just a condition of the elderly
- Between 30-40% of people will die within 12 months of diagnosis
- 5% of the total Accident and Emergency admissions are heart failure related in the NHS
As you can see there are many challenges to overcome, many hurdles to get over both at an individual level and a nationwide level.
I wouldn’t blame you in thinking how can the Pumping Marvellous Foundation help make life better for heart failure patients?
The core activities and strategy of the Pumping Marvellous Foundation are driven by the needs of heart failure patients, carers and family communities we serve. Everything we do is driven by the needs of the patients, carers and families. We get to the real crux of the problems, the problems that patients tell us they have. Our communities are large and we have superb interactions with them, we run the largest Facebook page dedicated to Heart Failure globally so we fully understand the needs and challenges they face.
What do we do with the money you raise?
- We distribute patient information to the majority of NHS heart failure teams across the UK who deal directly with the patient. In 2017 this equated to around 115,000 pieces of patient information
- We deliver peer to peer support through our various channels. Our peer to peer support model is driven by patients
- We create and develop interactive videos to help people with heart failure manage better through our YouTube channel PMTVLive
- We run social media campaigns to build awareness of heart failure across the UK through our Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter channels
- We help fund local support groups who help people locally with their challenges
- We challenge and support national initiatives to influence politicians, NHS policy makers, NICE and local commissioners to improve access to the best care and treatments ensuring availability across all postcodes
- We actively seek feedback from patients through on and off-line discussions and feed this back as insights to decision makers
We operate with a focussed and efficient team based in Preston ensuring we keep a tight rein on costs. We punch well above our weight and always deliver our projects. We are powerful and effective because patients help make decisions, and get involved with every activity we do.
We know that by being inclusive we know we are doing the right things for heart failure patients across the UK.