Communication Matters / ISAAC (UK)
Who we are
Communication Matters is a UK-wide charity committed to supporting people of all ages who find communication difficult because they have little or no clear speech.
We provide information on methods of communication which can be used to supplement the more usual methods of speech and writing. These methods are called Augmentative and Alternative Communication, or AAC for short.
Our Vision is a world where all individuals are able to communicate in all aspects of life.
Our Mission is to promote the awareness, understanding and use of all forms of communication so individuals can express their thoughts feelings, needs and desires using their chosen means.
Communication Matters is involved in a wide range of activities, including:
- Campaigning: for equitable national provision of AAC services and equipment.
- Roadshows: UK-wide programme of update days on AAC development, run in partnership with commercial members.
- Conference: annual conference for people who use AAC, family members, and professionals.
- Study Days: training days in specific areas of interest and 'hot topics' in AAC. - Publications: series of leaflets, range of journals, books and DVD.
- E-News: the latest news on AAC, delivered monthly by email. - AAC Forum: ask questions and share knowledge about AAC with others online.
- Small Grants: available for not-for-profit projects that further the aims of Communication Matters.
- Research: undertaking ground-breaking AAC research projects.
- Service Delivery: ongoing projects on service standards and mapping.