Wellington School

Charity details

Registered address
Wellington School,South Street
Wellington,
TA21 8NT

Phone
01823 668858

Email us

Visit our website

Charity number
1105256

The Chapel Fund

The Chapel Fund

The Chapel has been at the heart of the School since its dedication in 1931 and has played, and continues to play, a significant role within the life of the School. Built by George Corner with money donated both from OWs and himself and on land owned by the Old Wellingtonians Association, the Chapel is held in Trust on behalf of the Association.

Over the years we have run fundraising campaigns for specific parts of the Chapel which need restoring – the wonderful Chapel ceiling and most recently the south windows. Following on from these successful campaigns, the OWA committee in partnership with the Chapel Trustees and the School have decided that we should launch an ongoing Chapel Fund which will allow the OWA to build up a reserve for restoration work as it arises.

Currently the large west window over the Altar needs repair and, as is the case with the south windows, requires great care and attention to ensure a high level of quality stonemasonry and glass are sourced, the latter of which is now only made in France. The cost for this window is approximately £24,000 to bring it back to its former glory and for it to last many more decades. In addition to the west window the slender stone pinnacles around the perimeter of the roof are starting to crumble. They have been strengthened in the past with steel dowels but these and the some of the stonework are in need of repair. The cost to restore these will be in the region of £35,000."

  


Support us

If you'd like to support Wellington School just click the links below: