Herts Welcomes Refugees
Who we are
HWSF provides a range of assistance to refugees and asylum seekers in Hertfordshire, particularly Syrian refugee families, that complements the support provided by the local councils and the British Refugee Council’s Hertfordshire Project.
Typically, the support provided by HWSF to arriving families includes:
• Providing a welcome package
• Providing items of furniture and home furnishings that may not be present in their allocated property; TVs and TV licences; kitchen and gardening equipment; books and toys
• Sourcing, repairing and delivering bicycles
• Supporting ESOL (English for Speakers of Other
Languages) by matching volunteers with individuals and running informal conversation groups
• Linking arriving families to supportive communities and providing support to the British Refugee Council and local council case workers
• Organising events to bring the families together
With the help of our donors we are meeting the emerging needs of the fifty refugee families with whom HWSF works. Your gifts helped with language classes, including travel costs; securing employment; health and housing issues; support groups and social meetings; as well as outings and events for the children and their families.
In 2019, new families will be arriving and we will need to provide support and essential items to them while continuing to assist the families who are already here.
For many refugees the main barrier to both work and integration is a lack of adequate language skills. In 2018 we began addressing this issue by employing a part time Language Support Coordinator who has built up a network of thirty volunteers to provide 1:1 support to family members. More funding will be needed to extend her contract.
With your help, our volunteer-led charity will continue to welcome and support refugee families throughout Hertfordshire.