Who we are
Hatua, meaning ‘the next step’ in Swahili, is an independent UK registered charity dedicated to helping primary school children from some of the most challenging parts of Africa realise their dreams – to continue their education in secondary school.
Primary school in Kenya and Uganda is free but secondary school fees, as well as the cost of boarding, uniforms, books and equipment, are not affordable for those living in slums – typically a daily income for these families will be less than one dollar. This means talented students are unable to fulfill their full potential and make a difference to their communities and the wider world by continuing their education.
Hatua was set up in 2011 to help break this cycle of deprivation. By working with primary schools in some of the most challenged areas of Nairobi and Kampala, and with secondary schools with a proven ability to place students in leading universities, Hatua gives students the opportunity to build a brighter future.
With your help, we can:
- Motivate all students in our selected primary schools to do as well as they possibly can
- Identify the best students clearly and accurately
- Secure admission for these students to the top secondary schools in the country
- Cover the cost of tuition, board, books, uniforms, and any other necessary expenses
- Encourage, monitor and mentor students to help ensure their ultimate success