Christ Church Coldharbour
Who we are
Community - Tranquility - Prayer
Christ Church Coldharbour serves a thriving community on the eastern slopes of Leith Hill within the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Built in 1848, it is a church of great tranquillity, which we try to ensure is open every day. Together with Abinger, Holmbury and Wotton, it is part of the Leith Hill Benefice.
We worship in a number of different formats to engage with the whole community, the young, families and the not so young, and the Church is used for a variety of events, all of which help Christ Church to really be central to village life.
From its original construction, Christ Church has benefitted from the generosity of local residents, including the Wedgwood and Vaughan Williams families, Ralph Vaughan Williams played the organ and used to conduct the village band’s Christmas concert.
Today, we need to raise £40,000 a year to meet the costs incurred in maintaining Christ Church. Some of these relate to our share of the costs of having a Vicar as well as other costs incurred by the Diocese. Others relate to the costs of looking after the Church and the John Venus Hall, keeping their fabric in good order and paying for insurance, heating and lighting.
£40,000 is a lot to raise each year in a village of only 350, and we welcome gifts from those who have enjoyed a visit to Christ Church. Indeed, we welcome gifts from anyone who would like to help keep this lovely Church alive. Virgin Money Giving is one of the ways you can make a donation, others are on our website www.coldharbourchurch.org.uk