Our site needs cookies

We need cookies to help you sign in, create a fundraising page and donate. If you want to fundraise or donate on our site, you will need to turn on cookies How to turn on cookies.

It looks like you are trying to access a charity account.

Please click here for the charity sign in page. If you are not trying to access a charity account, please contact us.


Karl Elton

Charity Clay Pigeon Shoot & Raffle

Total raised so far £0.00

Target £0.00

Total plus Gift Aid: £0.00

Raised offline: £0.00

My story

[p] [/p][p]I am trying to raise money for the Smile4Wessex charity which is based at the Wessex Neurological Centre in Southampton General Hospital. As these great people took me in and removed my brain tumour and now I would like your support to help them as much as they helped me as words cannot describe what they have done for me. The money raised will provide them additional funding to help life saving research, buy the latest equipment and facilities for all of their patients. The team at the Purbeck Shooting School are hosting an event alongside a raffle with some wonderful prizes to win! So please join us on the 27th of July to try and raise as much money for this charity and also Dorset Air Ambulance. [/p][p][br][/p][p]Not many people knew what had happened to me as I have kept it under wraps and only my family and closest friends knew what happened back in October last year, when I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumour and had it removed by an amazing surgeon Mr Grundy and his incredible team. This is my story of what I have been through having the tumour, the treatment and what my life is like now.[/p][p][br][/p][p]It all started back in April/May 2018 as I was preparing to travel to the Netherlands to participate in a clay shooting competition. I started to notice my fingers on my left hand started to tingle and go numb. I didn't think much of it as I used to use hand tools and thought the vibrations had started to affect me. At the time I didn't really take much notice of it until we went to Mexico for a couple of weeks and the back of my left leg started to go numb. I had a few blood tests, few appointments with my GP then things slowly got worse as I ended up not being able to swallow food without water, slurred speech, double vision, started to become very tired, falling over because my balance had completely gone and that's just a small list of what was going on![/p][p][br][/p][p]At the start of October I went to have a MRI and at the time I didn't know I had this tumour growing and thought this was pretty over kill and didn't really need this, then the next day me and Georgie were at Longleat feeding the Meerkats when I got a call from Poole Hospital who wanted to speak to me about my results. Then the news no one ever wants to hear "You have a benign brain tumour". When you get told this by a consultant you can't start to process the information while they are doing small tests to see where its effecting you on your body. We were offered to see the scan results but I'm honestly glad he never showed me at the time. [/p][p][br][/p][p]While it was hard watching my Mum trying to hold back her tears with the consultant the hardest part was her telling me to call all of my family and let them know the bad news. One by one I was making the calls to them they couldn't and didn't want to believe me and this felt awful. Georgie finished work early because of the results and everyone came to see me which showed me the love and support I needed.[/p][p][br][/p][p]After a few days Wessex Neurological Centre called me and arranged an appointment to meet the team. At this time my balance had become a major issue and it was much easier for me to be wheeled around in a wheelchair which I hated! Then the time came to talk about my treatment which was a Suboccipital Midline Craniotomy and the date they wanted to go ahead with my procedure and what equipment they wanted to become free to help my surgeon not to damage my nerves, which at the time didn't seem to bother me too much but obviously they wanted this machine to help us all. It was when my family was with me and we got shown the tumour and cyst attached too. We were all in shock, no one had any words to say about what they had just seen and no one wanted to believe it was real![/p][p][br][/p][p]After speaking to one of my consultants Anna, we could see why this tumour and cyst was doing all this to me as it decided to grow on my brain stem which obviously is one of the main parts of you that is connected to all of your nerves, my consultants were amazed that I never suffered with headaches due to the size of the cyst blocking a part of my brain that allows the fluid to move around. Which to be honest makes me pretty lucky! [/p][p][br][/p][p]The weeks leading up to my operation I spent time doing pretty much nothing, just existing which was getting me down. My family and friends took me out when there was enough of them to pick me up off of the floor in case my balance caused me to fall as I'm not the lightest of people! Also, we would do silly things like make cakes, but this time was the time I realised my limitations with what was going on as at this stage I was losing the feeling in my arm and I knocked the cake mixture off the side and got seriously annoyed at myself. Luckily enough the cake came out pretty good. But while we were out one time I saw a friend's Mum, she asked what was up and why I was in a wheelchair and I had to tell her what had happened to me and everything that was going on. While I didn't know what was going to happen to me this was the time I had to reach out to the people I had fallen out with and sort these silly problems out. I didn't want to let them ever think that they wished they had sorted these things out if the worse was to happen to me. So this was a big lesson to me, never fall out with close friends over silly things as you don't know what's round the corner. [/p][p][br][/p][p]But a few day's before my operation my symptoms started to get worse until I had a bad migraine and it came close to us calling the hospital to get me in now, but a few hours later when it passed I seemed to feel a lot better and I could walk without being too wobbly also I was able to eat food like normal without the need of a drink, which when I told my consultants before my operation they couldn't believe it.[/p][p][br][/p][p]Then the morning of my operation came, and everyone wished me the best of luck through all of tears. But being the person I am I said "don't worry I'll see you all later". So me and my Dad headed off to Southampton, texts coming in from my work friends wishing me the best of luck and trying to lift my spirits. When we arrived in the waiting room I looked out the window and started to laugh at the fact there was a fake Flamingo with a little pond with grass on the roof. We met all the doctors and nurses, then we met Mr Grundy and we went through some of the outcomes that could happen and was I happy to carry on. We all knew there was no way I could carry on the way it was and that I needed this operation. So I got undressed and said bye to my Dad which was seriously hard as I've never seen him so upset, and as always I told him "I'll catch him in a bit".[/p][p][br][/p][p]I hopped onto the bed and started talking to the Anaesthetists, they asked where had I come from and what I would be doing if I was at home, which I replied "Probably watching Jeremy Kyle" which cracked them all up! The next thing I knew I'm waking up and speaking to Mr Grundy and asking him how did it go, he told me they got all of it out but had to leave one bit as it was a bit too close to my brain stem. I asked to shake his hand which he was happy to do and I said thank you then I went back to sleep. At this point I was taken into intensive care just for a overnight visit and all of my family could come and see me which I don't remember in the slightest. So two at a time they came in and saw me, my Mum told me I said "Mum look!" as I moved my hands and legs to show her they all still worked, they asked how was I feeling and apparently I told them I was great because I just got back from Mexico. I was demanding to see Georgie. When they had to leave they didn't want to leave me there. Also someone else in the intensive care unit at the same time was being asked questions "does he know where he is and how does he feel and I would be answering all of his questions for him, when the nurse came round to me I didn't answer one! but they said well he hasn't shut up until now so he's alright![/p][p][br][/p][p]The next day I woke up and thought it was still the same day of my surgery as the nurse was asking me "what day is it?" I said "It's Monday", then for them to tell me it was Tuesday blew my mind! Then I met my physio who asked how was I feeling and wanted to get me up to start walking and I thought yes let's do this as then I can get out of here! but my biggest worry was that my head would fall off and that I didn't want to fall into her as she was so pregnant she was ready to pop, but me thinking my head would fall off had everyone laughing as I said it. Tuesday came and my physio got me to walk to the toilet and on the Wednesday she got me walking down the corridor and upstairs, slowly all the tubes they put into me were coming out and I knew I was getting better and I'll be home soon, but the time I spent on the ward made me realise how lucky I was as there were people around me in a hell of worse state then me and I felt so sorry for all of them.[/p][p][br][/p][p]I do have a few funny stories from my time in hospital where friends and family came to see me and I’d play a few tricks on them. One that I won’t forget is when Dawid came to see me and I really needed a wee. So as you do I told him I needed the toilet and he told me that’s fine. I rolled to the side and started to wee into the jug things they provide you and then I needed to readjust myself back in bed. So I asked Dawid would he just hold this jug for a minute. As I passed it to him he asked me “why was it warm” to which I started to laugh and tell him it’s my wee! He starts asking in a panic “what do I do with it?” And then I called the nurse to take it. It was these simple things that just made my day when I was in the ward. As you can probably tell from the picture below I didn’t look the happiest. [/p][p][br][/p][p]But before I knew it Friday was here and I was on my way out, the consultant and physio were happy with my progress and I was on my way home. When I got wheeled out of Southampton hospital and got into the car I just burst into tears and couldn't believe what I had actually been through and was going home, but having my operation and recovering all with in a week. Which was another thing I couldn't get my head around as I didn't want to come to terms how serious my operation was as I later found out when I was speaking to the nurse as she removed my staples in the back of my head.[/p][p][br][/p][p]I slowly recovered at home and started to get back to a normal life, slowly my feeling came back in the places it started to go numb and I was over the moon. just over a month from my operation friends I shoot with said we'll come and pick you up and go shooting, I said that's a good idea as I wanted to see if I could still do it as the tumour was effecting my vision. Everything was good, we laughed and joked that the surgeons had improved my ability to shoot! The following week me and my Dad were shooting in a competition which I came top in our squad and I told them I was six weeks out from having brain surgery so what was their excuses! with this I slowly got back to work a few days here and there, started going back to the gym and tried to get back to normal as soon as possible. But one thing I didn't want to miss was one of my best friends getting married as he had asked me and another friend of ours to be his best men. I couldn't and wouldn't let him and his family down. I told him I would do it and I made sure I was fit enough to do it and I'm glad everything worked out so I could watch him and his wife get married which meant a lot to me.[/p][p][br][/p][p]I had another MRI in late February and the results were that nothing had grown back and that I will need another scan in November. The nurse wants to tell me the same news in November. which hopefully it will be! if its not, well I know I have the best people on the job to help me.[/p][p][br][/p][p]Now being that it's six months since my operation and I've been back at work full time since the start of February, going out and doing the things I love with my friends and loved ones. Visiting Kraków in Poland for Georgie's Birthday, looking forward to our holiday with our friends and looking at booking more! This thing stopped me doing what I wanted for a few months but now it's nothing more than a scar on the back of my head, which is my reminder of how lucky I am to have met this great team at Southampton Hospital and the fantastic work they’ve done for me. [/p][p][br][/p][p]I hope my story gives you a small insight into what having a brain tumour was like, my attitude was just laugh at it and well what else can you do, which drove everyone crazy! I had good days and bad days but the positive attitude I had towards it all helped me through it and the support from everybody.[/p][p][br][/p][p][br][/p]
Charity Clay Pigeon Shoot & Raffle image 1
Charity Clay Pigeon Shoot & Raffle image 2
Charity Clay Pigeon Shoot & Raffle image 3

Share Karl's story


Personal Challenge Date

27 Jul 2019


Jul 27, 2019


Love ya big man x


Jul 27, 2019


Good luck! xx

£10.00 plus £2.50 Gift Aid

Jul 26, 2019

Kerry Fox

Hope it all goes well. Love Kerry & the kids x


Jul 25, 2019

Michael and all at Advantay

£50.00 plus £12.50 Gift Aid

Jul 19, 2019

Jon Elton

Hope this helps you to your target. Love Dad & Caroline xx

£200.00 plus £50.00 Gift Aid

Jul 17, 2019

Shannon Davin

Karl thank you for the tears and the snot as I read your message, hope your fundraising day goes well. It’s a privilege to know you as our friend :-)! Love Shannon and Rhys xxx


Jul 17, 2019

Smelly bum

Because your very special to me!


Jul 3, 2019

Keith Alibone

Karl / Mark, Sorry I cannot make it, hope the day goes well and you raise the amount of money you are aiming too. Good luck for the future.

£25.00 plus £6.25 Gift Aid

Jul 2, 2019

John B

Hi Karl / Mark, Sorry I can no longer attend, hope all goes well on the day for you and the Charity.

£25.00 plus £6.25 Gift Aid

May 11, 2019

Eric Shuttleworth

Karl I hope this helps with your quest to help others Regards Eric

£100.00 plus £25.00 Gift Aid