Our site needs cookies

We need cookies to help you sign in, create a fundraising page and donate. If you want to fundraise or donate on our site, you will need to turn on cookies How to turn on cookies.

It looks like you are trying to access a charity account.

Please click here for the charity sign in page. If you are not trying to access a charity account, please contact us.


Richard Warren

London Nightrider 2015...and then some

Challenge complete

Fundraising for this challenge has ended so we're no longer accepting donations. Thanks to everyone who supported this challenge.

Total raised so far £0.00

Target £0.00

Total plus Gift Aid: £0.00

Raised offline: £0.00

My story

[lt]h1[gt][span=color: #333399;]Over 460 miles of cycling over a long weekend for the NDCS! - [url=http://www.ridewozzy.com/LeedsLondonNightrider.html]COMPLETED[/url][/span][lt]/h1[gt][p]I've [url=http://www.ridewozzy.com/LeedsLondonNightrider.html]successfully completed [/url]this challenge and would like to give a big thank you to everyone who has supported/donated - no need to stop :-) !.[/p][lt]h2[gt]London Ride[lt]/h2[gt][ul][li][url=http://www.strava.com/activities/319019295]www.strava.com/activities/319019295[/url] (195 miles)[/li][/ul][lt]p style="text-align: center;"[gt][url=http://www.ridewozzy.com/lds-ldn-images/IMG_20150605_165200.jpg][lt]img title="London" src="http://www.rwwebsite.webspace.virginmedia.com/lds-ldn-images/thumbs/IMG_20150605_165200.jpg" alt="London" width="300" height="NaN" /[gt][/url][/p][p]After the months of planning and training, everything was organised well in advance (OK, I play a lot of things by ear, but had a good idea of the options available) which is unusual for me. Everything seemed set and I was raring to go at any time...then, 1 week before the start, I was riding home and whilst going round a corner I went through what I thought was puddle, but it turned out to be a large diesel spill...[/p][p]This slung me off my bike and sent me sliding several meters on my side across the road. Fortunately it was the school holiday, which meant the traffic was much lighter and I didn’t end up hitting any vehicles. It did however leave a large/deep “road rash” across my leg. This turned out to be very painful, and left me barely able to climb stairs let alone get back on a bike. Four days before the ride, I still couldn’t mount a bike or walk properly – which meant I was particularly anxious about being able to ride 200 miles! I was applying everything I could think of to repair the leg (and mildly sprained wrist) as well as plenty of rule #5. By the time ride day arrived, the injury had stopped bleeding and was only weeping a bit – I just had to keep it clean.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]The night before I packed everything I would carry on the bike, so that the morning would be swift and simple. This was simply a 5am rise to get ready then give Daniel a big hug before setting off at 6am for starting around the corner at the Farsley Cenotaph.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]The morning was one of those gorgeous chilly summer starts, when everything looks great in the sun and the world seems happy. There may have been a mild tail breeze to begin with, which meant great progress down through Doncaster and on to Lincoln. One notable point was near a school in Doncaster, when a young lad probably about Daniel's age on a bike, tried his utmost to keep with me. We stopped at the lights and he was telling me how he really loves to ride and it feels great to ride fast - as he panted to catch his breath. Great to see kids getting to school like that and very much reminded me of Daniel.[/p][p]Further on, I realised that I had forgotten one element on my list, which was to check for road closures, and I thought I was going to hit one as started passing “Road Ahead Closed” signs near Gainsborough. However, I seemed to just manage to slip through before they did close the road for the day. Once at Lincoln, however, the wind had definitely picked up and switched round to be a straight headwind. This lead to a buffeting which really drained the energy as I had 120 miles of it to endure. This was on top of the blasts you get as articulated lorries pass in the opposite direction and keeping an eye open for ‘aggressively fast’ drivers.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]I hadn’t hard-set where my stops would be, as energy depletion can vary with so many factors, I just wanted to go with the feeling on the day. Through all the training, I was very aware of nutritional intake and the output I’m capable of (I’ve read much of the science). I also know, after about 8 hours of sugary foods, I can’t bear any more, therefore ate proper foods (bacon butties, burgers, fries) right from the start, leaving the biscuits, cakes and energy gels for in-between snacks. It turned out I naturally worked in approximately 4-hour stints, where I’d stop for a while to have proper food with micro-rests and snacks in between.[/p][p]Following the route was very straight forward with the Gamin; I did have the backup of a phone, map and printed directions, but these alternatives would have been horrendous to be honest. There was only one real route diversion I took (around Peterborough) as I didn’t want to ride on a dual carriageway, but Google maps on my phone made it pretty obvious for a little diversion of a mile or two.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]At around 160 miles, I was definitely feeling a bit tired, especially from the lack of respite from the headwind, but certainly not exhausted. The day had been very hot (25C; I like it hot fortunately), but now the anticipated evening chill had started and was glad I’d chosen to wear my cycling jacket. As I approached the built-up areas of the London area, it felt good to be getting close. The injured leg was pulling and hurting a touch, but was more a discomfort than a hindrance with just a little bit of juicy goo.[/p][p]Upon approach the hotel at 195 miles (9pm), I considered riding the extra 5 miles to make a double century. I certainly had enough energy, but since that was ‘optional’ and I knew Daniel was waiting up for me to call him, I decided to head straight in to the hotel. After making my calls and a quick shower/change I headed straight to the pub next door to get food while they were still serving and subsequently ate as much as I possibly could. I knew I’d burnt around 7000 calories but consumed nowhere near that figure.[/p][lt]h2[gt][lt]br /[gt]Nightrider[lt]/h2[gt][ul][li][url=http://www.strava.com/activities/319726143]www.strava.com/activities/319726143[/url] (10 miles)[/li][li][url=http://www.strava.com/activities/319966940]www.strava.com/activities/319966940[/url] (65 miles)[/li][li][url=http://www.strava.com/activities/319979666]www.strava.com/activities/319979666[/url] (10 miles)[/li][/ul][lt]p style="text-align: center;"[gt][url=http://www.ridewozzy.com/lds-ldn-images/IMG_20150606_220055.jpg][lt]img title="Nightrider" src="http://www.rwwebsite.webspace.virginmedia.com/lds-ldn-images/thumbs/IMG_20150606_220055.jpg" alt="Nightrider" width="300" height="NaN" /[gt][/url][/p][p]When I booked the Waltham Abbey Premier Inn hotel (I paid for all accommodation and food BTW – not charity subsidised) I did explain what I was doing and asked for a quiet room and suggested I may be sleeping through the day. They were very obliging and I’m thankful, though as usual, I don’t realistically sleep much anyway (I’m a 4-6 hours a night person) so was up and about for breakfast anyway – again eating as much as possible.[/p][p]My legs were aching a fair bit, but decide to keep moving by spending a good few hours strolling several miles through the lovely Lee Valley Park. By mid-afternoon, my legs had returned to normality and were ready for getting back on the bike.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]I had arranged to meet Bike Swanky mechanics at the Lee Valley VeloPark at 7pm, so headed down in good time. As it happens, it was on this 10 mile stretch that I got a puncture, which made me realise that maybe the London roads would have more debris and at night time it may be harder to spot. Thanks do go to Bike Swanky for looking over the bike and changing a derailleur cable to ensure the shifting was spot-on and the guys have been very supportive all-along.[/p][p]I changed in to my Shaun the Sheep outfit as the light started to drop (not that I felt a bit daft, ahem) and to be honest, wearing stockings and a woolly jacket turned out to be a fair setup for riding in the night time chill. I had decided to take the whole ride very steadily, in order to conserve my energy, though after the first few miles, there was no other option as the Saturday night traffic was very congested, which took a bit of an edge off the ride during that time.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]I tried to take in many of the sights along the ride and have visited London many times, so had a reasonable grasp of where I was geographically. I didn’t stop much to take photos though, as I kind of wanted to get to the end, largely to recuperate again. This meant I picked up the pace a little once out of the central traffic, especially following the halfway rest stop.[/p][p]I rode much of the second half and chatted to other guys (from Everyone Active gyms) and we kept a reasonable pace (more like my typical pace) which combined with now quiet roads, we stormed through the last half. There were a couple of wrong turns, but I’d put the route on Garmin, so it soon identified the issues.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]Upon arriving back at the VeloPark, there was time for a little sprint on the track before grabbing a bacon butty, saying a few goodbyes and heading the 10miles back to the hotel and ready for bed at about 5am.[/p][p]I skipped breakfast the next day (had a few things in the room) but had a little stroll then to the pub again for a big roast at midday where I spent the rest of the afternoon sat out in the sun with a glass of wine...nice. I think the guys in the pub may have had a hectic day and were struggling by the evening, but I continued to be polite (unlike many) and had no problems at all with service. That evening I packed and prepared once again, with the hotel kindly obliging to print out a courier label for the case which I’d forgotten to do before leaving home. An early night was in order for the early start the following day...I was determined to get home the next day and wasn’t going to carry any change of clothes.[/p][lt]h2[gt][lt]br /[gt]Return Ride[lt]/h2[gt][ul][li][url=http://www.strava.com/activities/320987750]www.strava.com/activities/320987750[/url] (70 miles)[/li][li][url=http://www.strava.com/activities/321173000]www.strava.com/activities/321173000[/url] (4 miles)[/li][li][url=http://www.strava.com/activities/321521275]www.strava.com/activities/321521275[/url] (6 miles)[/li][li][url=http://www.strava.com/activities/321845472]www.strava.com/activities/321845472[/url] (125 miles)[/li][/ul][lt]p style="text-align: center;"[gt][url=http://www.ridewozzy.com/lds-ldn-images/IMG_20150609_190000.jpg][lt]img title="End" src="http://www.rwwebsite.webspace.virginmedia.com/lds-ldn-images/thumbs/IMG_20150609_190000.jpg" alt="End" width="300" height="NaN" /[gt][/url][/p][p]On the Monday, I tried waking up at 4am for a 5am start, but was too tired, so did delay by an hour. This is when I realised I may have ridden a little too fast on the Nightrider as I felt a little more fatigue than I had hoped. However, the leg ache was blanked out somewhat by a certain pain level when sat on the saddle - back on with that Rule #5 again.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]However, as the morning progressed and I had breakfast, thus gaining more energy I felt much better. I think my nerve endings had also given up to some extent, so seated riding was largely uncomfortable rather than painful.[/p][p]There were one or too ‘aggressively fast’ early drivers, but largely the roads were quiet. The ride progressed and I was very confident of making it all the way home. Upon arriving at Peterborough I stopped for a burger break then set off to continue. However, I’d only been riding a couple of miles before a car pulled out from a side street and struck my rear wheel. I was able to safely come to a stop but knew without looking there was enough damage to stop me going any further.[/p][p]Now I’d just like to be clear that I hold no ill feeling toward the driver and could easily imagine it was a blind-spot accident. Everything has been sorted out with insurance swiftly. If I have any grievance with drivers (I am one myself – not a shouty cyclist), it’s the ones that didn’t hit me but drove ‘aggressively fast’ and close as those outcomes would have been very different indeed.[/p][p]However, I was very disappointed to have to stop the ride. Once again Bike Swanky did their best to contact local mechanics for me to source a loan wheel. A work friend, Alison, who was following my posts on Facebook also did her best to source a loan wheel – as it happens she was taking part in cycle races the following day and would have been driving down with ‘a car full of wheels’ the next day! Now with multiple people on the case (for which I’m truly thankful) we tried to get a wheel.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]I had one offer of a wheel in the end (thanks to Bike Swanky), but the timing would have meant I’d be arriving home around 2-3am, which I felt was too great a risk when tired. Therefore opted to take a train home, replace with one of my own wheels, check for further damage then return in the morning to continue my ride from Peterborough to Leeds (125 miles). On the plus-side, this meant I got to spend the evening with Daniel and see my wife, which was a great boost.[/p][p]Arriving back in Peterborough Tuesday morning I was refreshed and very strong again, which was lucky as the wind had properly picked up now and yesterday’s head-breeze was a proper grinding headwind today. The route was simple and familiar enough now and I had a good idea of where the food stops and Wi-Fi were. When passing RAF Waddington, there were large crowds so I stopped and it turned out there was about to be a flypast – good timing for that, so I stayed and watched before heading on.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]As hoped, once turning past Lincoln, the headwind became more of a side-wind, therefore progress quickened and I started to push the pace once more (back to the high-teens). On these long rides I do naturally conserve my energy and apply it as I become more confident of what I have left in me, therefore I kept on picking up the pace and remember passing many other cyclists. It felt great that the months of training had meant I was able to do this.[lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]The approach to Leeds was fantastic and I think I was genuinely smiling the whole way in. It felt absolutely great to have achieved something like this, especially with my background of being overweight and zero exercise only a few years earlier. The support from Twitter and Facebook during the ride really does give you a boost knowing that people are rooting for you – using the Garmin LiveTrack so everyone knows where you are with full statistics adds a great interaction to this feedback. [lt]br /[gt]  [lt]br /[gt]After a brief stop in Leeds City Square, it was a quick phone call home to ask if my wife and Daniel would meet me at Farsley Cenotaph then it was just a standard commute home (maybe a tad slower than usual!). There were a few hugs and photos, before heading home, cleaning up and getting straight back in to home routines ready for work the next day...and yes, I cycled in.[/p][lt]h2[gt]See Also[lt]/h2[gt][p][url=http://www.ridewozzy.com]www.ridewozzy.com[/url][lt]br /[gt][url=http://www.facebook.com/ridewozzy]www.facebook.com/ridewozzy[/url][lt]br /[gt][url=http://www.twitter.com/ridewozzy]www.twitter.com/ridewozzy[/url][lt]br /[gt]  [/p][lt]p style="text-align: center;"[gt][url=http://www.rwwebsite.webspace.virginmedia.com/images/RideWozzy-NightRider2015-Summary1.pdf][lt]img src="http://www.rwwebsite.webspace.virginmedia.com/images/RideWozzy-NightRider2015-Summary1.jpg" alt="Ride Summary" width="450" /[gt][/url][/p][lt]p style="padding-left: 30px;"[gt] [/p]

Share Richard's story



Generous Folk from Farsley

Collection Tin at Sutcliffe's






Kind Lady at Leeds SkyRide



WMC Member






Si Cook

next stop: TdF

£10.00 plus £2.50 Gift Aid



£50.00 plus £12.50 Gift Aid



£20.00 plus £5.00 Gift Aid



£10.00 plus £2.50 Gift Aid


Karl Eaves (LDN)

Amazing effort. Well done Richard

£10.00 plus £2.50 Gift Aid