Prudential RideLondon Participants break Virgin Money Giving Fundraising Records
- A record breaking £3 million has been raised online so far through the UK’s largest not-for-profit fundraising platform, Virgin Money Giving - a 13 per cent increase on the 2017 event
- The total raised through the not-for-profit fundraising platform is expected to hit over £3.25 million at the final count
Prudential RideLondon cyclists raised a record breaking £3 million for charity through Virgin Money Giving, the not-for-profit fundraising partner of the event, and the total is expected to increase further as donations continue to come in. The fundraising total so far represents a 13 per cent increase on the 2017 event.
Prudential RideLondon is the world’s greatest festival of cycling and attracted over 100,000 cyclists to the roads of London and Surrey over 28-29 July.
For the main Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 event over 3,800 riders raised money on Virgin Money Giving for over 750 good causes. In addition, nearly 64,000 generous donors asked Virgin Money Giving to claim Gift Aid on their behalf, totalling £474,000. Unlike some fundraising websites who charge up to 5 per cent to claim this free government tax benefit, Virgin Money Giving does not charge to claim Gift Aid. As a result, charities have saved almost £24,000 on charges made on Gift Aid on the Prudential RideLondon event alone.
Jo Barnett, Executive Director at Virgin Money Giving said: "I'm delighted Virgin Money Giving has once again smashed all previous fundraising totals for those taking part in the Prudential RideLondon event. Donations continue to come in and the cyclists can rest assured that more of their hard won donations will reach their selected good causes because of our low fees and not-for-profit model."
Hugh Brasher, Event Director of Prudential RideLondon said: "Prudential RideLondon is the world's biggest one-day cycling fundraising event which has raised more than £53 million in its first five years. This is a great new record fundraising total on Virgin Money Giving and our thanks to everyone for their wonderful support."
Virgin Money Press Office
0191 279 4676 / 07826 922 064
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the UK’s largest not-for-profit online fundraising website from Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure.
- More than 14,500 charities have registered with Virgin Money Giving and, by the end June 2018, over £660 million had been donated to charities through the service since its launch in 2009, resulting in an estimated £20.6 million more donated to charities because of its not-for-profit model.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters and link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving provides fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice on how to raise more for charity. In addition to supporting individual fundraisers, Virgin Money Giving also supports Appeals, Corporate and In Memory fundraising.
- Virgin Money Giving is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Swim Serpentine, Prudential RideLondon and the Royal Parks Half Marathon.