Virgin Money London Marathon runners smash fundraising records
- A record breaking £21.8 million has been raised online so far through Virgin Money Giving
- The total raised through the not-for-profit fundraising platform is expected to top £25 million at the final count
- £1.3 million has been raised so far for Teenage Cancer Trust, the official charity of the 2018 London Marathon
As the roads reopen after the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon (VMLM), runners can reflect on another awe-inspiring and record breaking event.
Runners raised over £21.8 million for charity through Virgin Money Giving, the not-for-profit fundraising partner of the London Marathon, and the total is expected to top £25 million as donations continue to come in.
The Virgin Money London Marathon is the world’s single biggest single day fundraising event. It is estimated that over 2,000 charities will benefit from fundraisers taking part in this year’s 26.2 mile spectacle.
Jo Barnett, Executive Director at Virgin Money Giving said: “I’m delighted Virgin Money Giving has once again smashed all previous fundraising totals for those taking part in the London Marathon. Donations continue to pour in and the runners can rest assured that more of their hard won donations will reach their selected good causes because of our low fees and not-for-profit model.”
The 2018 VMLM charity of the year was Teenage Cancer Trust, who had hundreds of runners raising money for the charity in this year’s event.
Kate Collins, Chief Executive of Teenage Cancer Trust said: “We hope that being this year’s Virgin Money London Marathon Charity of the Year will be transformational in our ability to support young people with cancer. Our runners have raised an amazing £1.3 million so far and I just want to say a huge thank you to each and every one of them all for all their dedication and perseverance in completing this year’s event.”
Since Virgin Money Giving was launched in 2009 over £160 million has been raised through fundraising pages linked to the London Marathon. This has resulted in an estimated £5 million extra reaching charities due to its low fees and not-for-profit model.
Virgin Money Press Office:
0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising website from Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure.
- More than 13,900 charities have registered with Virgin Money Giving and, by the end of 2017, over £600 million had been donated to charities through the service since its launch in 2009, resulting in an estimated £19 million more donated to charities because of its not-for-profit model.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters and link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving provides fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice on how to raise more for charity. In addition to supporting individual fundraisers, Virgin Money Giving also supports Appeals, Corporate and In Memory fundraising.
- Virgin Money Giving is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Swim Serpentine, Prudential Ride London and the Royal Parks Half Marathon.