World of Books Group and Virgin Money Giving launch joint campaign to drive charity donations with a difference
- Virgin Money Giving and World of Books Group are launching a joint campaign urging the public to #DeclutterandDonate used books, games, CDs and DVDs in the run-up to Giving Tuesday on 5th May
- The partnership offers an innovative way to donate to charities via trade-in app Ziffit
- Campaign designed to provide charities with new income to support them through this difficult chapter
Virgin Money Giving, the UK’s largest not-for-profit online fundraising website, and World of Books Group, a leading global seller of used books, are launching a joint campaign urging the public to #DeclutterandDonate unwanted books, games, DVDs and CDs via the Ziffit app, in the run-up to Giving Tuesday on 5th May.
Giving Tuesday usually takes place in November each year and is celebrated on the Tuesday following the well-known shopping days of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. This additional date of public fundraising for 2020 has been announced by the movement’s organisers as an emergency response to the funding shortfall facing the charity sector, created by COVID-19. As a result of the current lockdown in the UK and the cancellation of a summer of major fundraising events, the charity sector faces losses of an estimated £4bn1.
Last month World of Books Group and Virgin Money Giving launched their innovative partnership in the shadow of the coronavirus crisis, to provide a unique and alternative way for donors to support charities by turning their unwanted books, games, DVDs and CDs into cash for good causes. The service is provided by Ziffit, a free and easy to use app and website to sell unwanted books, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and games for cash, meaning that the donated item is recycled possibly many times over.
Without leaving their homes, donors can scan the barcode on their unwanted books and media through the Ziffit app or enter the details manually online and get a cash value which they can then pass, via Virgin Money Giving, directly to a charity of their choice. All the funds raised will go to their chosen charity and if they are a UK taxpayer that donation can be bolstered by an additional 25% in Gift Aid too. The service is completely free and goods can be collected safely by a Ziffit courier service.
Richard Salt, Group Commercial Director at World of Books Group said: "We’re excited to launch the Declutter and Donate campaign as part of our innovative new partnership with Virgin Money Giving, a business that is so clearly aligned to our values and purpose. During these unprecedented times, with many charities facing an uncertain future due to the effects of COVID-19, our partnership further demonstrates how re-commerce technology can be a force for good by offering an alternative way for individuals to help the causes they care about most.”
Jo Barnett, Executive Director at Virgin Money Giving said: "With spring cleaning in full swing and charity shops closed and unable to accept donations for the foreseeable future, Giving Tuesday is the perfect opportunity for the country to unite once again and turn any unwanted books and media that may otherwise be thrown away into vital cash for causes close to their heart. We’re delighted to have partnered up with World of Books Group to offer a unique new way for people to donate to charities across the UK.
"The vital services provided by charities are needed more than ever, yet COVID-19 has left many in crisis. Our new partnership will provide vital additional income and supports sustainable trading at a time when both are greatly needed."
1BBC NEWS, Coronavirus: Government funding ‘not enough’ to keep some charities afloat, 09 April 2020, Retrieved 16 April 2020, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52228161
Virgin Money Giving Press Office
0800 066 5998
World of Books Group Head of Brand and Impact
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the UK’s largest not-for-profit online fundraising website from Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure.
- In October 2019, Virgin Money Giving turned ten, and since launch has helped over 12,500 UK charities and 1 million fundraisers raise over £800 million to support their work in the UK and overseas.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters and link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving provides fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice on how to raise more for charity. In addition to supporting individual fundraisers, Virgin Money Giving also supports Appeals, Corporate and In Memory fundraising.
- Virgin Money Giving is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Swim Serpentine, Prudential RideLondon and the Royal Parks Half Marathon.
About World of Books Group
- World of Books Group is comprised of re-commerce technology businesses: World of Books, Ziffit and Shopiago. World of Books is a leading global seller of used books online to millions of customers; directly, though third-party platforms and wholesale partners. Ziffit is a free and easy to use app and website to sell unwanted books, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and games for cash. One of the largest trade-in sites in the UK, the Ziffit business model is 100% circular.
- In 2008 World of Books was founded with an ethos to do good to help charities and to make a positive impact. Over the last decade they have grown from a start-up into a leading global seller of quality used books and pioneers in re-use and recycling. Their inventory has grown to over 5 million in stock, and they sell a book somewhere in the world every two seconds.
- World of books are an accredited B Corp. Certified B Corporations (B Corps™) are for-profit companies that use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
- Ziffit has been developed to help close the loop on new book purchase, use and reuse. The innovative application of technology, to help individuals, charities and commercial partners to generate additional income, supports a wider circular economy vision.
- World of Books Group vision is to be the leading seller of used books globally, while helping people to reuse and recycle for less through innovation and technology.